After all the road trips going up the mountains and down to the beach, it’s finally time grant ourselves a lazy day. We slept in, nommed our way through everything we crossed paths with and mostly hung out in JC’s apartment.
[Melbourne | Australia June & July 2016]
30 June 2016
Hammer & tong, Federation Square & ACMI, Belleville, N2 Gelato and Campari House
Hammer & Tong [Closed]
We had brunch at another one of JC’s recommendations and such a pity that this place is closed by the time I had the chance to try and write this piece. But I am still posting it anyways because this is where I learnt the existing of chilli scrambled eggs (and fell in love with it) and had one of my favourite food photos of this trip from this place!
Basically, keeping this in the post for memory sake. So bear with me, please!
And since we were in Fitzroy for brunch that morning, we took a lazy stroll around and found ourselves a nursery to explore and some donuts from Doughnut Time that I was totally unimpressed with so no photos for what we ate. Sorry! 😄
Queen Street Market
To be honest, the Queen Victoria Market is just a stone throw from JC’s apartment and I totally lost count of how many times we went there during my visit to grab groceries, meals and whatnots! It is a typical market during the day and offers food, drinks and music during the night. But, it was so crazy pack when that we aborted for other alternatives around the market!
The Borek Bake House
And of course, one of the alternatives has to be at The Borek Bake House just around the corner from the market and it was conveniently one of the favourite as well because the little one eats very well from here!
Anyways, we basically hung out in JC’s apartment for the rest of the afternoon – The adults were doing laundry, chatting and catching up while the little one naps – before we took an evening walk out. And for once after so many days arriving at Melbourne, I had the chance to marvel at the view from the apartment. The view of Melbourne CBD that is with the rain clouds looming that is 😅
We took an evening walk out to Federation Square in the evening even though it was raining and saw this very very sad scene of the Winter Campfire then popped into the Australian Centre for Moving Images (ACMI) to get out of the rain for a bit while we wait for JC’s cousin and friends for dinner.
Australian Centre for Moving Images (ACMI)
This trip happened too long ago that I have no recollections why I had so few photos of the place but, the ACMI features everything about film, TV, video games and digital culture and arts with interactive exhibits for you to learn and experience. They also talk about the evolution of creating moving images then and now. Pretty interesting for both adults and kids I must say!
The dinner together with JC’s cousin and friend was impromptu and we settled into Belleville since their rotisserie chicken looked interesting in the photos and the place was conveniently located in the heart of CBD. Never mind how we thought it was quite mediocre because this business has bite the dust by the time I write this piece.
N2 Extreme Gelato
We just had to do this post-dinner dessert since there was N2 Extreme Gelato just below JC’s apartment and dinner wasn’t satisfying! It was chocolate gelato topped with a doughnut and loads of whipped cream on top. Whoops!
Just as I thought the gelato was already a sweet way to end our lazy day, the buddy pointed out there are a lot of small rooftop bars around the Melbourne CBD. And so we sneaked out again to check out the rooftop bar, Campari House, a few blocks away which we can see from the apartment!
Just as I thought the gelato was already a sweet way to end our lazy day, the buddy pointed out there are a lot of small rooftop bars around the Melbourne CBD. And so we sneaked out again to check out the rooftop bar, Campari House, a few blocks away which we can see from the apartment! The
post-dinner post-dessert drink definitely makes it an even better end to the day! Haha! 😄
More posts from Melbourne | Australia June & July 2016 travelogue series:
- Red Spice QV, Om Nom & Fancy Hank’s | Melbourne, Australia
- Yarra Valley, Healesvilles & Marysville | Victoria, Australia
- Lake Mountain Resort and Bruno’s Art & Sculpture Garden | Marysville, Victoria, Australia
- Cafe Carpenter & Gukbab | Malvern East & Melbourne, Australia
- Fingal, Sorrento, Dromana & Shoreham | Victoria, Australia
- Hammer & Tong, Federation Square & ACMI, Belleville, N2 Gelato and Campari House | Melbourne, Australia
- Operator 25, Shrine of Remembrance, Royal Botanic Gardens, Yarra River & St. Paul’s Cathedral | Melbourne, Australia
- Breakfast Thieves, Rose Street Artists’ Market, Pho Bo Ga Mekong Vietnam and Yarra River + Gas Brigades Fire Show | Melbourne, Australia
- Manchester Press, Market Lane Coffee and St. Kilda Beach & Breakwater| Melbourne, Australia
- Vertue Coffee Roasters, Melbourne Museum & Jurassic World: The Exhibition, Jimmy Grants and Gelato Messina | Melbourne, Australia
- Great Ocean Road | Victoria, Australia
- South Melbourne Market, State Library Victoria, Docklands Winter Fireworks 2016 and Cafes | Melbourne, Australia
- Collingwood Children’s Farm & Farmers’ Market, Flagstaff Gardens and Brick Lane Melbourne | Melbourne, Australia